Wednesday, August 21, 2013

breaking awesomeness in the quest for marriage equality!

Holy crap, y'all!

Doña Ana county (in Southern New Mexico) will, starting today, issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.  Says the County Clerk of Doña Ana, Lynn Ellins,

"...I am mindful that I took an oath of office to uphold the Constitution of the State of New Mexico as Doña Ana County Clerk. I am an attorney, and I have read the AG's opinion, and I find it to be sound. After careful review of New Mexico's laws it is clear that the state's marriage statutes are gender neutral and do not expressly prohibit Doña Ana County from issuing marriage licenses to same-gender couples. Any further denial of marriage licenses to these couples violates the United States and New Mexico Constitution and the New Mexico Human Rights Act. Doña Ana County is upholding New Mexico law by issuing these marriage licenses, and I see no reason to make committed couples in Doña Ana County wait another minute to marry." 

Ellins is apparently unwilling to wait for the judicial machine to figure out what to do in NM, and so is just going ahead with issuing licenses.  This is super neat!  It's not a state-wide decision, but that does not diminish its awesomeness.

This is the best thing I've heard all week.  Rock the hell on!  Congratulations to all those New Mexico couples who are in Doña Ana, or are headed there to finally exercise their rights to get married!

<3

-----
UPDATE: dance party gif time!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts about my posts? Put 'em here!!