Monday, March 25, 2013

chemist cocktail corner: tuscan strawberry

Having a chemist in the house sure does come in handy.  Husband happens to be a fabulous mixologist/bartender, owing partially to his chemistry training.  Our liquor cabinet is truly epic, and when I tell him to make me a drink, I often get very pleasantly surprised.  Case in point: last week's creation, the Tuscan strawberry. 

The Tuscan Strawberry: tasty in a glass. 

I don't always want a cocktail in the evening, but after getting home from work on Tuesday I decided to have a libation.  I had been unable to resist the lure of the crate of delicious-smelling perfectly-ripe organic strawberries at Costco over the weekend, so I suggested something involving muddled strawberries.  It was beautifully balanced; it's a 'girly drink' without being overly sweet, and has a very delicious complexity.

He made this. 

I drank this. 

I was happy. 


Tuscan Strawberry (a chemist Husband creation)
1 very ripe strawberry
pinch of sugar

1.5 oz vodka (vanilla recommended)
0.5 oz Maraschino liqueur
0.5 oz St. Germaine (elderflower liqueur)
1--2 oz sour mix (to taste)
splash vanilla schnapps (omit if using vanilla vodka)
splash Limoncello
splash lemon juice
dash Peychaud's bitters

Muddle the strawberry and sugar in the vodka.  Add the rest, shake with ice and strain into a short glass.  Garnish with strawberry slice.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts about my posts? Put 'em here!!