Thursday, April 11, 2013

guilty pleasures

John Scalzi on guilty pleasures:
...I don’t feel guilty about my pleasures. 
My pleasures make me happier to a greater or lesser degree, they don’t hurt anyone else, and in any event one of the great advantages to being a grown up is being able to do what the hell you want and not have to apologize for it or run it past anyone else. The reason we call things “guilty pleasures” is usually because we substitute someone else’s judgment for their value over our own.
This is an amazingly healthy outlook, and it's a topic I've been working on in myself but had not elucidated nearly this clearly and effectively.   Not feeling guilty about things that make you happy is a rather important and advanced adulthood skill.  Scalzi, as always, you rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts about my posts? Put 'em here!!